Monday, April 7, 2014

Inspiration Monday...Featured photographer

It is Monday. You know what that means. Another beautiful feature. Today's featured work is emotional, fun and inspiring. Her work is beautiful. I wont keep you any longer. Please take some time to read a bit about Katie Myrick Photography.


How did you come up with your business name? 

My business name is Katie Myrick Photography. I wanted it to be easy for clients to figure out who was behind the camera.  






 What brought you to photography?

When I was super little, I remember telling my mom that I wanted to be a country music star and a photographer. I can’t sing a lick, so my dreams of being a photographer was the one that stuck with me. I was always the one taking pictures through grade school but it wasn’t until I was married and had my second kid that I began to really pursue photography as a passion.




 What do you like to shoot? 

Hands down, I LOVE to shoot seniors but I have fallen in love with the realness of lifestyle photography. There is something truly special about capturing a family in their own home. I aim to capture those moments you only remember in your memory but wish you had a permanent reminder of. 







 who is you favorite muse? 

Besides my three kiddos, my brother’s girlfriend, Erin, is always willing and ready to try out my next big idea and arrives ready to be photographed with full makeup and a ton of different clothing options. She’s been my “model” from the very beginning, and I love her for it. 




 What is in your camera bag? 

Nikon D700 that is gripped, 50mm f/1.4, my FAV the 85mm f/1.8, 35mm f/1.4, Lensbaby composer pro with sweet 35. The other must haves are hand sanitizer, bug spray, hair ties and hair pins. 




 What type of camera bag do you rock? 

Epiphanie Belle in Coral for most of the shoots and Epiphanie Charlotte in Turquoise for walking around/site seeing. 




 photoshop or Lightroom? 

Lightroom! It’s easy to use, intuitive and really does all I need. 




 Jpeg or Raw? 

RAW, all the way! I used to be totally intimidated by shooting in RAW and having to edit it, but now that I know all the amazing capabilities of shooting in RAW, I can’t imagine shooting anything but. 




 In three words only how would you describe your photography style? 

Emotional, Light filled, Bold




 Top 2 favorite photographers and why? 

I love Sue Bryce for her inspiring work with women and teaching other photographers how to shoot women of all sizes and her ability to make them feel beautiful. Molly Flanagan’s lifestyle work is absolutely inspiring to me. She has THE most amazing eye and takes the most mundane moments in life and makes them pure magic through her lens.  




 Favorite season to shoot and why? 

My favorite season to shoot is the summertime. I can’t get enough of the warm gold glow from the sun!

 what is your non photography related down fall? (example:  chocolate, soda..) Hazelnut coffee, I must have it. 




 What is your most embarrassing moment at a shoot to date? 

I was walking through the woods with this adorable couple and was telling them that I was terrified of snakes. I said, “If I ever just let out a scream and take off running, it’s because of a snake”. At that moment, I stepped on a snake! True to my word, I screamed and took off running! 




 What is your one best piece of advice to give someone just starting out? 

The piece of advice that helped me the most was to not compare yourself or your work to anyone else’s. If you get caught up in what everybody is doing, it makes it really hard to stay true to yourself and listen to what truly makes your soul happy. Be you. 







 If you weren't photographer what would you be, any dream careers?

I would love to be involved in the fashion industry. I had all intentions of going to college to be a fashion merchandiser but I went into nursing instead. 




 What is your goal for photography for the next 3 years? 

My goal is to continue to learn everything I can about photography. I plan on saving lots of pennies to be able to go to Amanda Holloway’s Kitchen Sink workshop in Texas. 





To continue to follow Katie's work follow her Facebook page here Katie Myrick Photography. Please go show her some love. Until next time, XOXO